Bring Turkey to the Table for Foodtastic February Events
By Shannon Crocker MSc RD, Vibrant Nutrition Communications
As Canadians, we know that February can be challenging from a weather perspective. There’s not a lot of sunshine. It’s cold (still!). The barbecue’s hidden under a heap of snow. And, we’re dreaming of summer, or at the very least an early Spring.
Despite the frosty landscape, there’s no reason we can’t all add a little sparkle to our Februarys. Here are four fantastic events you can host that provide a great excuse to gather friends, share a good meal and enjoy some seasonal fun!
I’ve paired each event with a tasty turkey recipe (or two!). The versatility of turkey means it works for all these foodie events from turkey tenders for the kids to a romantic braised turkey dinner for two.
Canada’s Agriculture Day
February 11th is Canada’s Ag Day, a day to raise our forks to thank our farmers and celebrate the amazing, nutritious foods we produce here in Canada, including Canadian turkey!
This stew is a warm, comforting dish that is super for sharing:
- Rich and Tasty Turkey Guiness Stew – with Canadian turkey thighs, parsnips, potatoes and carrots, this stew just seems so Canadian, eh?
Good to Know: dark turkey meat is even more rich than white meat in nutrients like zinc and selenium, which help keep your immune system strong and healthy.
Oscar-themed parties are ideal for finger foods and here are two turkey recipes that will elevate your red carpet party to star status!
- Smokey Maple Turkey Wings – braised in the oven, these wings are healthier than their deep-fried wing counterparts. Serve these hearty wings with a big platter of celery, carrots and blue cheese dip.
- Indian-Spiced Turkey Pita Chips – if you’re feeding a bigger crowd, this flavourful snack will be sure to satisfy your guests.
Good to Know: turkey pairs perfectly with so many different flavours – from curries to barbecued dishes, you’ll find it works well in all of your favourite recipes.
Nothing says I love you more than cooking and sharing a meal with your sweetheart. And this dish, featuring braised turkey thighs, is definitely something to love!
- Spanish Style Braised Turkey Thighs with Artichokes and Olives – seemingly fancy, yet simple to make, I can picture this turkey dish on a candlelit table for two or on a large kitchen table for a friend’s “Galentine’s” day.
Good to Know: cook turkey with the skin on to lock in flavour and moisture; remove the skin before eating to keep it lean.
Whether you’re getting out into the snow or playing games indoors, here are two recipes that will sure to be a big hit with the kids (and adults too!).
- Big Crunch, Oven-Baked Turkey Tenders – these tenders are made with turkey thighs, so they’ll stay moist inside with a crunchy outside. Bake a double batch so you’ve got extras to pack in lunches.
- Grilled Turkey Fajitas – fajitas are perfect for gathering around the table and enjoying a meal together and this unique take on the Mexican dish featuring turkey is terrifically tasty.
Good to Know: turkey is packed with satisfying protein and nutrient-rich, making it a terrific choice for nutritious meals on Family Day and any other day of the year!
Hope you have a delicious February!